Posts Tagged ‘media’
SYDCON is thrilled to welcome Gini Dietrich CEO of Arment Dietrich & author of the amazing Spin Sucks as a guest blogger today! YEAH! If you are not familiar with the Spin Sucks blog, go there immediately after you read this, you won’t be disappointed!
The last time public relations was defined was 1982.
A lot has changed since then.
There is this thing called technology that is changing the PR industry every day, let alone in the last 30 years. PRSA is in the middle of redefining PR, which is great. But it’s not allowing for things PR professionals need to incorporate into their skill sets. Things such as web development, mobile marketing, search, and optimized content.
The web, it turns out, is extremely important in the job of a PR professional. Much more important today than it was even three years ago.
It used to be your website was an online version of your corporate brochure. But times, they are a changin’. Your website now needs to be a living and breathing thing that changes daily, if not multiple times a day.
We used to have paid media (advertising) and earned media (media relations). Now we have owned media, which is the content you produce and distribute.
Owned media is great because, if you can write in an engaging and conversational way, while adding value, you no longer have to depend on media buys and influencers and journalists to tell your story for you. You can do it yourself.
PR professionals have always had to be good writers. Writing for the web is not a new skill, but is a twist on the types of writing we’ve always done. Rather than it being newsworthy or polished, it becomes a conversation. Rather than it being a way to shout messages, it becomes a dialogue.
The web is redefining the way we do our jobs and it’s up to us to keep up. I imagine a world where the web is creating 90 percent of our business opportunities, while the remaining 10 percent is still focused on the important face-to-face meetings.
If PR professionals don’t soon figure out how to use the web to their advantage, the industry, as a whole could die.
Put your writing to the test and be our guest! SYDCON is looking for guest bloggers! Do you have a topic on digital media, web development, copy writing, marketing or technology, etc. you would like to supply a guest post on? Then the SYDCON guest blog spot is for you.
If you would like to reach companies or individuals looking to enhance their web presence in varying areas like, web content, design topics etc. then this guest opening is for you. Our clients come to us for custom development, yes, but they often have a plethora of other questions from how to develop the best content to design and marketing ideas. We can help them build it, then most ask, now what? How do we promote it? So, let’s help everyone interested in improving their web presence.